How to increase your social media engagement

 In Marketing

At present, engagement is possibly the single most important metric in digital marketing.  Basically, everything stems from it so everyone, understandably, wants to maximise it.  Here are some tips on how to do so.

Make sure all your content has a clear focus

If your content is based around images, make sure you can see their message literally at a glance.  If your content is based around words (spoken or written), then master the art and science of headline-writing.  You want them to have impact, while still being an honest reflection of the overall content.  Avoid the temptation to produce “clickbait” headlines for views.  The social media platforms (and the search engines) got wise to them a long time ago.

Include a clear call to action in each piece of content you produce

A lot of social media users, especially younger ones, will understand the importance of likes, shares and comments, but it never hurts to leave a reminder, which will also act as a guide to the people who don’t know about social media algorithms.

Respond to engagement

This tip may seem obvious, but it’s still really important.  If someone does what you want them to do, then show your appreciation to them for doing it!  At the very least give them some kind of sign that you’ve actually noticed such as liking a comment.  It’s even better if you can give a meaningful response, even if it’s just a simple “thank you”.  Keep your eyes open for anyone who shows any signs of really bonding with your brand and see what you can do to build on the relationship and turn them into brand ambassadors for you.

Limit your outbound links

You need to get your posts out in front of people before they can engage with them and while you can and very much should do your own promotion, it’s usually extremely helpful if you can also get the social media platform to promote your content as well. 

In blunt terms, the social media platforms are now very much “pay to play” and there are two ways you can pay.  One is literally (promoted posts) and the other is by producing content which adds value to their site by getting people to come to it and stay on it.  Posts with outbound links encourage people to leave a site so it would be highly unusual for a social media platform to promote them organically.

This means that the majority of your posts (about 80%) should be produced for consumption entirely on the site so that you give yourself a chance at benefitting from organic promotion.  Keep outbound links to a maximum of 20% of your posts and keep them to a minimum even then to avoid the algorithm flagging your post as potential spam.

Collaborate with other content creators

If you look at any of the major social media platforms, you’ll find numerous instances of content creators working together, even when they’re within the same niche.  The foundation of a successful collaboration is enough similarity to appeal to a similar audience base but enough difference for you each to bring something fresh to the table. 

Although most collaborations tend to happen between creators of similar sizes, larger content creators may well collaborate with smaller ones if the smaller creator has something really compelling to offer.  That means if you only have a small presence, you can still reach out to larger accounts, provided you can show them how you could add value to their offering.  Likewise, if you already have a decent following, think about reaching “down” to micro-influencers as well as “up” to larger accounts.

If you need help or advice in running your campaigns, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Recommended Posts
Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Not readable? Change text. captcha txt

Start typing and press Enter to search

FCM Media social marketingonline marketing lincoln